This week: Netflix subscriber numbers plummet, Deliveroo slashes UK sales forecast…
It’s all about the numbers for some major players this week. Netflix has lost almost a million subscribers in the second quarter, which is a huge number, but it’s shot. However, investors were relieved that the expected drop of 2 million subscribers did not materialize as the shares rose 7% despite the numbers.
United Kingdom, Deliveroo cuts its sales forecastblaming the head of the consumerds’ on the lowered targets. In APAC, Singapore seeks to impose itself more cryptocurrency restrictionsand Didi was fined over $1 billion for data breach by Chinese authorities.
Finally, Elon Musk stayed in the news as the court ruled against postponing his impending legal battle with Twitter. The trial will begin in October, despite Musk’s best efforts.
The Summary of ExchangeWire
What is the potential of DOOH advertising? A panel of industry experts gives us their opinion. (Read more)
What does it mean to win a Wires award? We ask some of our former champions for their opinion. (Read more)
We take a look at the opportunity for Uber in DOOH and what their ad tech stack might look like. (Read more)
Tech teasers of the week
Test your intelligence with our new weekly quiz. With an imminent move into the world of adtech, this week we turn our attention to Netflix. See what you know about the streaming giant:
- How many millions of hours was Stranger Things watched globally last week? 👀
- What is the name of Reed Hastings’ book on Netflix’s corporate culture? 📚
- Netflix is now worth $95 billion. For how much could Blockbuster have bought the company in 2000, a chance it rejected? 🤑
- This week, Reed Hastings predicted “the end of linear television”. When does he think this will happen? 🌋
- Netflix lost nearly a million subscribers in the second quarter. How many fell in the first trimester? 📉
The answers revealed in Monday’s ExchangeWire Digest
- StackAdapt enables in-game inventory through world-leading Anzu (Read more)
- Adomik presented its 2022 half-year results on the French programmatic market during the Programmatic Barometer event (Read more)
- The IAS finds that the majority of media experts are concerned about digital audio ad fraud (Read more)
The Mad Tech Podcast
On this week’s episode of The MadTech Podcast, we’re joined by Sandy Ghuman, Managing Director of Silverbubblet, to discuss Netflix chooses Microsoft to create its ad-supported tier, Spotify makes video podcasting more available, and Google offers to split off some of its advertising business. Listen now.
ATS Singapore 2022 – get your tickets now
We’re heading back to Singapore for ExchangeWire’s final ATS conference. Get your tickets now and join us on September 21 and 22.
The Wires Awards – registration deadline July 29
Only a few days left to submit your entries to our stellar panel of judges – find out what a Wires award has meant to some of our previous winners here.